A building permit
is required for a new structure and any addition to an existing structure, this would include mobile storage units placed on property. A building permit is required for fences, but not required for roofs. Please keep in mind it is the property owner's responsibility to make sure the contractor performing the work has a city issued contractor's license.
Building permits are available at the city office. The cost of a building permit is determined by the value of the structure.
Miscellaneous Requirements for Issuing a Building Permit:
- The property owner must locate the boundaries of the subject property and place flags on the property line pins.
- Flags must be placed at the corners of each building or addition to be constructed.
- Set backs in R-1 residential zones are as follows:
Side yard set backs which are not on adjacent to a street or building are 5 feet from the
farthest extending point of the building including eaves, porches and guttering.
When the side yard is adjacent to the street, the set back is 25 feet from the property
line. The property line is NOT the curb or edge of the street.
The set back from any other existing building is 10 feet. This includes porches, eaves, and
Front yard set backs are 25 feet from the property line. The property line is NOT the curb
or edge of the street.
Rear yard set backs are 5 feet from the property line.
- For set back requirements in all zones other than R-1, contact the city office.
- No electrical wiring or connection are to be covered until inspected by the city electrical inspector.
If set backs do not meet the above requirements a building variance is required. The cost of a building variance is $25 plus postage and publication costs. Please contact the city office for additional information.