Business licenses are not required in the City of Ellinwood for most businesses. However, all potential business owners, including home businesses must verify their business location is properly zoned before starting business. Business licenses are required for the following contractors:
- Mechanical/Heating/Air Conditioning
- Building (includes remodeling, roofing, siding)
These businesses must complete an annual contractor’s license application and provide a current certificate of liability insurance and submit it to the City Clerk’s Office, 104 E. 2nd, Ellinwood, Ks. 67526. The cost is $50 per license and expires December 31st of each year.
For more information, please contact the City Clerk’s Office at (620) 564-3161.
Cereal Malt Beverage License
A business must submit a cereal malt beverage application to the City Clerk 10 days in advance of the city council meeting at which they will be considered. Applications are available at the City Office, 104 East 2nd.
License fees are as follows:
- General Retailer – $100 – for consumption on premises
- Limited Retailer – $50 – original and unopened containers not for
consumption on the premises.
A $25 Kansas Department of Revenue Stamp Fee and a fee for a background
check will also be included in the total fee.
After the application is submitted, it will go to the City Council for approval. Once it is approved, the license will be delivered or mailed to the business. If it is not approved, the business will receive a letter stating the reasons why the request was denied.
An annual city liquor license of $100 is required for the following business:
- A business holding a license issued by the state director of alcoholic beverage control for the retail sale of alcoholic liquors for consumption off the premises
- A business granted a private club license by the State of Kansas
- A business granted a drinking establishment license by the State of Kansas
Upon presentation of the state liquor license and payment of the $100 fee, a city license will be issued for the same time period covered by the state license.